Question 9: List 10 people who have influenced you and describe how.
1. Miss Addison – I feel like I talk about her a lot, but I quite enjoy her. She was the first baby I was around for an extended period of time, and she taught me that I could handle being around kids without “breaking” them. It’s also enjoyable to be around a kid, have some fun, and when she gets annoying, she can go home.
2. My parents – Obviously I am who I am today partially due to my parents. I think I turned out ok, so they must have done something right.
3. JM – This person influenced me in a highly negative way, but I also am who I am because of his presence in my life. I am probably stronger for having been through it, but I’d be lying if I said I’m glad it happened because I learned a lot. I wish it never happened. BUT, I can accept that it happened for a reason and that I’m better off for it.
4. Ryan – Ryan has been the closest friend I’ve had, for the longest period of time. If that makes sense. There have definitely been some ups and downs in our relationship over the past 10+ years, but I think it’s an accomplishment to even still be talking after all those years. He was there for me through so many things, I can’t imagine my adolescence without him.
5. My grandma – My grandma is awesome. I don’t know how else to put it, because that’s the truth. She was the first person in my family to go to college, at a time when most people (especially women) didn’t. She became a teacher, the first in a long line of teachers in my family. At 88, she’s still spunky and fairly youthful. I especially enjoy seeing how she lights up when she’s around her great-grandkids.
6. Mitch – He showed me that I can be, and deserve to be, happy. He brought out parts of me that I didn’t think existed anymore, and he made me feel things I hadn’t in so long. I’m a very, very lucky girl to have him in my life. ❤
7. My bros – Scott, Josh, and Charlie showed me how to have fun, after not having much fun for a long, long time. Josh and Scott were basically the first friends I had in Winona, back when I was lonely and hating it. They helped me make it feel like home, and we had many fun times together. Maybe a little toooooo much fun sometimes, but hey, that’s ok. Besides the fun, they’re very good at chasing away creepers, texting people as me, making creepers jealous, and rocking the dance floor. These guys have become very special to me and I know they would have my back if I ever needed anyone “buried.”
8. My ladies – Kristina, Shannon, and Courtney helped keep me sane while I was getting my Master’s Degree. We also maybe had a little too much fun, and my liver may never fully recover, but we had fun. Aside from the fun, these three ladies are three of the best friends I could have. We’ve all had some heart-to-hearts over the last couple years, and I’m so thankful to have met all of them.
9. More of my ladies – Marisa, Missy, and Liz. Three of the very best friends I have. I know I can always go to these ladies for advice when I’m lost, a shoulder when I’m sad, and an unjudging ear when I’m being stupid. I can trust them with my secrets and know they’ll stand by me. I don’t know where I’d be without them.
10. Michelle and Tom – Last but not least, Michelle and Tom. Michelle has been one of my closest friends for a long time, and I’m very happy to say her husband Tom is one of my friends too. When I first met him, I was pretty nervous. Of course you want to like your friend’s boyfriend…but we clicked right away. I appreciate Tom for coming along on Water St when we wanted to go out and for always being a trouper, even if it wasn’t really his scene. They are an amazing couple who is always laughing together.
Whew! This was tougher than I thought – ten is a lot!